Painful but somewhat successful test migration

Nov 9, 2012 at 9:33 PM

I too feel the pain and keep waiting and hoping that we'd hear more from Will and / or DNN Corp, but I've simply gotten tired of waiting.  No, I'm not happy either, but as I see it, the only way out of this mess, short of dropping DNN altogether and switching to another platform, is to just get on with it, and figure it out ourselves so we're in position for DNN 7.0.

I was able to make some progress on migration over the past few days, and now have a working test DNN site with migrated social data. No, the migration utility doesn't work out-of-the-box, but I was able to figure out where things didn't work, and devise some workarounds. I will try and organize my notes and post each issue and a workaround to the issue tracker.

Moving the Active Social data to DNN core still leaves a few hurdles:

• Rebuilding site pages to replace AS modules with core social modules.  That's just time consuming, and it would be nice if there was a migration for that, but there isn't, so it's just something we have to do.  I will probably just remove the modules, and add the core ones where it makes sense.  Yes, it's time consuming, but Bruce Chapman has a great blog post on quickly setting up the social modules on your site.
  • AF 5.0. I'm OK with AF 5.0.1 so far, though I've run into two missing pieces so far
    • We all know about the lack of the AF mail connector, which I used quite a bit. In anticipation of not having it, I've experimented with having it turned off the past couple of months to see if anyone missed it. Not many complaints, but I do miss it. I'm thinking about writing my own.
    • The 'what's new' module (which needed an overhaul anyway) isn't working. Doesn't appear to be part of the new open source version on codeplex, so I'll have to figure something out, or do without it.

Both of those will require some adjustment to pages, site settings, skins/themes, etc. but so far I haven't come across any showstoppers.

Nov 14, 2012 at 6:49 PM
Edited Nov 14, 2012 at 6:50 PM

I have added several issues to the issue tracker; now let's see how quickly they are fixed :)...for each of them, I have posted what I used as a workaround, which involved changing the database/stored procedures.

One additional note: I'm not sure if migrating journal is really worthwhile.  The migrated entries require cleanup post-migration to remove tokens, e.g. [DNN:PROFILE:DISPLAYNAME], since these are now inserted by the base journal code.

For instance:

UPDATE Journal 
SET Title = RIGHT(TITLE,LEN(TITLE)-45) 
WHERE LEFT(Title,45) = '[DNN:PROFILE:DISPLAYNAME] started the topic: '

UPDATE Journal 
SET Title = RIGHT(TITLE,LEN(TITLE)-48) 
WHERE LEFT(Title,48) = '[DNN:PROFILE:DISPLAYNAME] replied to the topic: '

My thoughts on journal migration are that after a couple of days new journal entries should bubble to the top of the stack anyway, and no one will miss the migrated ones...

Developer
Nov 23, 2012 at 8:44 PM

Regarding the What's New module, you can have AF export posts to the journal. And then you can set up an instance of the journal which only displays forum posts.

Dec 4, 2012 at 2:28 PM

John, thanks for the update. I got members, friends and groups migrated but not journal entries. It starts but bombs on the same entry each time. Are you able to tell what Order is used when migrating the journal? If so I could try to figure out which journal entry is bombing and maybe figure out why or at least delete that entry and try again. I have posted this many time here and other places but cannot get even a simple response from the migration script developers. Obviously the person that built the script should be able to answer this question rather quickly. But months later we still have no love.

Dec 4, 2012 at 2:34 PM

Did you make the changes I noted in the issue tracker posts?