Migration Path

Sep 6, 2012 at 12:49 AM
Edited Sep 6, 2012 at 6:15 AM

To start my configuration is hosted on a dedicated 2008 R2 server with SQL 2008 R2.

Current DNN is 5.0.6.08 with AS 1.9.4.0 and AF 4.3.6 AS is a basic configuration no tweaks and only 1 group with 49 members. Probably the most used and important feature is the messaging.

Now from today’s webinar I left with what I perceived view of what needs to be done.

1. Backup everything.
  2. Upgrade DNN to 6.1.4
  3. Backup everything
  4. Upgrade AF to v5 which is in Beta (will practice on  my dev box prior to attempting this live.)
  5. Backup everything
  6. Check to make sure all installed module are working properly including any 3rd party modules.
  7. Backup everything
  8. If all is well upgrade DNN to 6.2.3 or the latest by the time you got to this point.
  9. Backup everything
  10. Install and Run the Active Social Migration module 
  11. Backup everything
  12. You should be all done with a working upgrade!

Now there are a few unclear areas about installing modules on blank was that just the migration module?
Also does this clean up my database from all of the old tables after I uninstall AS?

Sep 6, 2012 at 2:52 AM

Nice, DBSims. 

To answer your question:

The Migration Script module should be placed on a blank default darkkinight skin. Something about javascript conflict. 

I don't think the migration module cleans up anything. It just moves the data to the tables related to 6.2. However, uninstalling AS does clean database. I also think that few files will remain in db, which we have to delete manually.

Another limitation right now is that AF 5 is required, however, the AF 5 available right now has some errors. Fixed AF 5 was suppose to be available today but it has not happened so maybe tomorrow.  

I think Will answered the following questions but I am still unclear about it. So please let me know if you know anything about it. 

1) Do we have to set up the pages/Modules for 6.2 social before we run the migration module or we just run the migration module and then set up the pages with appropriate modules on them? And the moved data will automatically show up?

2) What if you already have in use 6.2 Journal on the website along with Active Social. Can we still use the migration module? 

Sep 6, 2012 at 5:09 AM
Edited Sep 6, 2012 at 6:17 AM
frozendnn wrote:

Nice, DBS

To answer your question:

The Migration Script module should be placed on a blank default darkkinight skin. Something about javascript conflict. OK Thank You! Must add prior to execution of the module.

I don't think the migration module cleans up anything. It just moves the data to the tables related to 6.2. However, uninstalling AS does clean database. I also think that few files will remain in db, which we have to delete manually.  Would be nice to have a list of tables that we can manually delete.

Another limitation right now is that AF 5 is required, however, the AF 5 available right now has some errors. Fixed AF 5 was suppose to be available today but it has not happened so maybe tomorrow.  Must say as exspected but we are closer, let's work together to help make it get here!

I think Will answered the following questions but I am still unclear about it. So please let me know if you know anything about it. 

1) Do we have to set up the pages/Modules for 6.2 social before we run the migration module or we just run the migration module and then set up the pages with appropriate modules on them? And the moved data will automatically show up?

2) What if you already have in use 6.2 Journal on the website along with Active Social. Can we still use the migration module? 

Thank you for the input, I will continue to do the same!

My comments are in blue above.

Jun 5, 2013 at 10:58 PM
Anyone knows about the migrator update? When will it be ready?
Jun 6, 2013 at 2:27 AM
I think you will be waiting a long time. IMO it isn't going to happen.
Jun 6, 2013 at 2:36 AM

<Ditto> that…<\Ditto>